Colorado Tech Weekly #6, July 22, 2013: Hackathons are good. Trolls are bad.
Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 information technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local events every Monday morning!
Every week I feel like I am torturing myself when I look through the list of upcoming events because I can’t make it to them! Why do I do it then? So that when I finally get the chance to go, I know where to spend my time. If I were you, I’d go check out the Convercent events, because free beer that’s why.
- Congrats to Founder Institute CTA Fellowship recipients Andrea Michels and Michael Catlin [CTA]
- Tech and consulting giant Accenture is buying Denver-based Mortgage Cadence LLC. [DBJ]
- Denver-based Ping Identity raises $44 million [DBJ]
- Denver has had 2 great hackathons this summer: Hack4Colorado and Music Hack Day Denver [Denver Post]
- To be a “Student of the Month” in July is pretty impressive. Congrats to Abelard Palmer! [KidsTek]
- Boulder-based Kapost raises some money, plans on hiring 15 employees by the end of the year [TechKnowBytes]
- Intel invests in gesture based TV technology [Denver Post]
- Patent trolls suck [Denver Post]
- An Internet Sales Tax could boost economic growth [DBJ]
- First hand account of how the NSA gets in the tubez [BuzzFeed]
- 7/24-7/25 – CTA – iHT2 health IT Summit
- 7/24 – CTA – What’s Brewing with Big Data?
- 7/24 – CTA – CTA Member Meet Up: Fort Collins with CTA Board Member Molly Rauzi, CTO, Gagen MacDonald
- 7/24 – Galvanize – 1MillionCups
- 7/25 – Galvanize – Intro to Backbone.js with Quickleft
- 7/26 – CTA – Convercent Summer Happy Hours
- 7/30 – Galvanize – Code for Communities Civic Hack Night
Thank you for reading!
If know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado, please let me know! Also if you attend any of the events listed, I would love to hear from you!