Colorado Tech Weekly #80: Reviewing my predictions for 2014, 1 event and business
Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local tech events every Monday morning!
Christmas is in 3 days. That thought didn’t quite hit me until I just typed it. I should start wrapping presents. At least I have them all purchased.
Since this is the 2nd to last Monday of the year, I figured i would look back at my predictions I made for 2014. I give myself a generous 50% accuracy.
- I predicted that Revolv and Rachio would be purchased. Revolv is now part of Nest. Rachio is still Rachio. I was half right.
- I predicted that Dish Network would not be awarded the Worst Company to Work For award. They’re not even in the “top” 10. Good job Dish! Also I was right!
- I predicted that smartphone innovation would plateau. I was right! But I thought there would be a cool game-changing audio UI. I was wrong.
- I predicted that responsive web design would become the norm. It’s not the norm yet, but it’s slowly getting there. I was wrong.
- I predicted that Fire OS would become the #3 most popular tablet OS. I generously give myself half credit because Amazon botched this one. They could have made this happen, but instead they focused on building a phone that focused on convincing users to buy more from Amazon. Damn you Bezos!
I don’t anticipate much news being made this week, so I should have plenty of time and room for predictions for 2015 in next week’s post. I wonder if I can make them all Colorado tech focused.
Top Colorado Technology News
- Boulder’s Rally Software teams with Code for America [TechKnowBytes]
- Westminster-based Lassy Project raises $750K of $1.6M equity investment round offering [InnovatioNews]
- Denver lands Panasonic Enterprise Solutions near airport [DenverPost]
- Boulder won’t stand in the way of Google’s expansion [DBJ]
- Denver-Based Altitude Digital appoints former Federated Media/Lijit Exec Manny Puentes as Chief Technology Officer [BuiltinColorado]
- Behind the scenes in Denver with PaySimple Customer Experience [PaySimple]
- Douglas County-based Dish is first pay-TV company to integrate Netflix [TechKnowBytes]
- Littleton’s Lockheed Martin Space Systems lands another $16.7 million in tax incentives (Video) [DBJ]
- Take a Quick Look at Boulder-based Quick Left in our 2014 Annual Report [BuiltinColorado]
- Comcast doubles Internet speeds for most Colorado customers [DBJ]
- 12/29 – WWC – Denver Java Study Group
Thank you for reading!
If you know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado, please let me know!
Does your Colorado tech company have a blog or newsletter? Am I already subscribed to it? If you answered “yes” then “no”, send me your info! I want to hear about what you’re doing!