Colorado Tech Weekly #249: Bigger Offices and Rural Broadband
Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local tech events every Monday morning!
I’m a big fan of doing more to expand broadband into rural areas. One reason for this is completely selfish. I love the idea of having a nice house in a small town while being able to contribute code remotely to amazing projects. My other reason is more altruistic. People who live in rural areas should be offered the same services and opportunities that those of us in metro areas have.
It’s also cool seeing companies announce expansions in space and people. When our tech companies feels comfortable enough to get more space and hire more people, it’s a great sign for our tech community.
Have a great week!
Top Colorado Technology News
- Loveland’s Keypoint Government Solutions will become Perspecta post-merger [BizWest]
- Improving rural internet about more than watching Netflix [DurangoHerald]
- Broadband bill for rural Colorado amended, but maintains momentum [ColoradoPolitics]
- Ft. Collins-based Madwire leases more space, expects to have 1,200 workers by 2021 [BizWest]
- Facebook is hiring in Denver and is eyeing bigger space, but has not signed lease yet [DenverPost]
- Boulder-based InspiringApps opens office in Austin [BizWest]
- Westminster’s DigitalGlobe selects SpaceX to launch its next-generation WorldView Legion satellites [BusinessWire]
- Why Denver’s technology industry is the nation’s next tech mecca [Kore1]
- Denver cloud computing company, Faction, raises $18 million for growth [DBJ]
- Denver-based PAIRIN Welcomes Alli Phillips as New COO/CFO [PAIRIN]
Top Upcoming Events
- 3/21 – Denver Droids – Android Networking 101 by Mike Patterson
- 3/21 – Denver Python Meetup – *Flask vs Django* the Throwdown with Vince Buscarello
- 3/21 – Tech Confluence – Clustering, Agile Design, Collatz Conjecture, at Sendgrid
- 3/21 – Women Who Code – Denver: Women Who Go
- 3/22 – Boulder/Denver Big Data Meetup – Using big-data in flood warning systems
- 3/22 – The Den of Clojure – Predictive Modeling and the Data Pipeline that Feeds It
- 3/26 – Colorado Data Science – Essential Mathematical Foundations for Data Science
- 3/26 – Ritchie School of Engineering and Computer Science – What Happens When AI and Legal Documents Collide? Legal Language Understanding with Dr. Shivakumar Vaithyanathan
- 3/27 – CTA – March Policy Webinar
- 3/27 – Denver iOS Developer User Group – Understand Mobile Architecture: MVC vs MVVM vs MVP
Thank you for reading!
If you know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado or if you have any news stories or opinions of your own about Colorado tech, email me at COTechWeekly@Gmail.com.
You can subscribe to all my posts by email.
Feel free to ‘like’ Colorado Tech Weekly on Facebook!
Visit directly at ColoradoTechWeekly.com