Colorado Tech Weekly #280: Combine Companies? Move Offices? Still Colorado!
Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local tech events every Monday morning!
Undeniably, the biggest news in Colorado tech last week was the purchase of Denver’s SendGrid by San Fransisco-based Twilio. The immediate reaction is to question the future of SendGrid in Denver and wonder “What does this purchase mean for Colorado?” in very concerned ways.
There’s no reason for concern. When this series started 5 years ago, Rally Software and Quickleft were staples of the Boulder startup community. Now Rally is part of the much bigger CA Technologies and QuickLeft is part of Cognizant and both still have their offices here and I’d bet that those offices are bigger and more stable for their employees. Change is part of growth and growth has been a constant part of our community for the past 5 years. Denver Startup Week was not a smoke-blowing session. Colorado is attracting talent and attention from all over the world.
Enjoy and have a great week!
Top Colorado Technology News
- Colorado Springs on front lines of cyber Cold War with Russia [Colorado Politics]
- Allen Technology merges with Denver’s Platte River Networks [PlatteRiverNetworks]
- HomeAdvisor expands HQ lease in RiNo ahead of moving in [BusinessDen]
- Denver fintech platform, FIMAC Solutions LLC, acquired by Birmingham cybersecurity firm [DBJ]
- Fort Collins BillGo acquires Prism [BizWest]
- Colorado Springs-based Cherwell has big plans to grow Denver office after hiring former Travelocity CEO [DBJ]
- Breckenridge OKs $8 million to build town-owned fiber optic network [SummitDaily]
- New COO and CFO for Fort Collins’ TurboTenant [BizWest]
- Broomfield-based Webroot launches VPN product [BizWest]
- Denver’s SendGrid remains ‘committed’ to Denver after $2 billion buyout [DBJ]
Top Upcoming Events
- 10/24 – Denver WordPress Meetup – WordPress + Gatsby + Netlify == Continuous Deployment [Denver]
- 10/24 – Rocky Mountain Software Craftsmanship – Domain Driven Design: Event Storming Workshop [Denver]
- 10/24 – UX Book Club Denver – Orchestrating Experiences: Collaborative Design for Complexity [Denver]
- 10/24 – Mile High Gophers – Go 1.11 Modules [Denver]
- 10/25 – Boulder/Denver BigData Meetup – LogRhythm’s Road to Cloud Analytics [Boulder]
- 10/28 – CiGDA – 2018 Halloween Party [Denver]
- 10/29 – Denver Visual Studio User Group – Discussing the Future of the Group [Denver]
- 10/30 – DenverScript – Stop trying to make `await` a thing with Dan Levy [Denver]
- 10/30 – Thinkful Denver – Getting Started in Data Science [Denver]
Thank you for reading!
If you know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado or if you have any news stories or opinions of your own about Colorado tech, email me at COTechWeekly@Gmail.com.